Wednesday, September 23, 2020
Follow Us
Fort Portal Regional Referral Hospital Register New Covid-19 Cases Thumping Its Capacity

As Uganda continues to register more deaths due to COVID-19 pandemic, more people are becoming reluctant to observe SOPs as per Ministry of health guidelines.

As more positive COVID-19 cases continue raising from the community Fort Portal Regional Referral Hospital register 11 positive cases from communities of Bwera in Kasese and Bundibugyo districts.

Kasese and Bundibugyo districts border DR Congo where COVID-19 pandemic transmission cases are higher than Uganda.

 According to Dr. Alex Adaku the Director Fort Portal Regional Referral Hospital said that as a hospital we have a best fit capacity of only six COVID-19 patients in care but as of now were accommodating 8 patients out of 11 that we received which is beyond our capacity and had to liaise with Mubende regional referral hospital that managed to take on the three cases.

Dr. Adaku said that community transmission is on increase as people are reluctant in observing necessary precautions as guided by the ministry of health.

He also warned the public to put in mind that COVID-19 pandemic is still a threat although lockdown restrictions were lifted and human movement increased abundantly people should continue putting on face masks, sanitize and regularly wash hands.

Dr. Adaku said that since the beginning of this August 2020 we have one female and seven male cases in care all from Bwera in Kasese and one from Bundibugyo districts. 

When our reporter visited public places in Fort Portal we found that many people in town don’t put on masks which are putting their lives at risk, boda bodas also carry passengers without masks and no registering them, at Mpanga Taxi Park passengers enter taxis without sanitizing as per President Museven’s directive.

In Kabundaire market at the entrance out of five people that enter the market only two that wash hands and most of the population they don’t put on masks and no social distancing at all.

 The Deputy Resident City Commissioner Fort Portal and chairperson COVID-19 task force Mr. Festus Bandeeba said that we have sent our health team on ground to identify contacts in the community as per information gathered from our patients in care.

He added that as Kabarole district and Fort Portal city we so far have no positive case but one of the cases we have in the hospital has been trading in Fort Portal on different occasions, which puts lives of people in the area at a possibility of having transmitted the disease.

Bandeeba also called upon people in the public who have been relaxed in observing the SOPs because they were resuming serious operations in all areas to make sure people comply as per the President’s directive.

He warned people in taxi business and market places to be closed if they fail to observe SOPs as people were no longer washing hands or sanitizing as they entered markets.

We have written to UPDF to enforce police as the lead agency in the operation and we have already started operations on roads not allowing people without masks to access public places in the city.

As per today Uganda has so far registered 19 deaths due to COVID-19 pandemic.

 

What do you think?

Leave comment!

Local News

Local

Only 70 people allowed in places worship -President Museveni

As he addressed the nation at the state house, president Museveni said the he has reopened places of worship, schools for finalists, the airport and borders.

By Salt Media - Sep.21

Local

Pr. Bujjingo not reopening church

Pastor Bujjingo of the house prayer ministries international is delighted that the president opened up the churches and places of worship without many restrictions.

By Salt Media - Sep.21

Local

Naome Kabasharira Voters Resume Protests

Protests have resumed Rwahi-Rwentobo town council in Ntungamo district supporters of Naome Kabasharira wants Ntungamo registrar Maria Mirembe to resign accusing her of ridging votes in favor of Rukutana. The...

By Salt Media - Sep.18

image credit: ugandasafaristour

Local

Uganda recives €6 million to boost tourism

Uganda’s tourism sector has received a boost  €6 million (26 billion Shillings) form European Union. The funding will enable recovery of the sector.

By Salt Media - Sep.17

Subscribe

Subscribe

PopFeed: The email recipient specified is either empty or invalid. Please check the plugin options.