Two family members in Rukiga district have died after drinking milk believed to have been laced with poison. They are 80-year-old, Jane Tibabugyira and her granddaughter, Patricia Kemigisha, both residents of Nyakagyera village in Rwamucucu Sub County in Rukiga district.
Eddie Mugisha, Rwamucucu Sub county LC V councillor, says the duo developed abdominal pain and started vomiting this morning when they drank milk for their breakfast.
He says they breathed their last as neighbours were preparing to rush them to Mparo Health Centre IV for treatment.
He suspects that the two could have been poisoned because of a land wrangle pitying Tibabugyira against her daughter, Midias Tumuhimbise and teenage son.
Mugisha explains that Tumuhimbise and her son sold Tibabugyira’s land purportedly to get money to clear the medical bill.
They reportedly started sending her threatening messages when she demanded the money in vain.
Aggrey Okum, the Rukiga District Police Commander, says they have handed the deceased’s body to Kabale Regional Referral Hospital for postmortem. He says they have also recovered milk smelling Carbofuran (Furadan), one of the most toxic pesticides.
She says other countries where it’s now applied in 14 countries after it has been fully studied by the United Nations have adopted the system.
Namuganza disclosed that the ministry is only facing challenges from the refugees who are also demanding to have land title after engaging into Agricultures.
The minster, however, says its putting stringent measures where one can be identified by the issuance of national IDS.